Terms of Reference: HAUSA LANGUAGE INFORMATION ASSISTANT
City and Country of Post: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Individual Service Contract
Level: SB 2 Peg 3: Expected Commencement: July 2017
Duration: Initial 6 months. Renewable depending on availability of funds
United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) Lagos has the mandate to communicate the work of, values, priorities and initiatives of the United Nations in Nigeria and around the world to the Nigerian Population.
The United Nations promotes peace, development, human rights and humanitarian assistance. The Northern States of Nigeria are in need of the combination of UN interventions, especially with the Agenda 2030 and following the Paris Agreement on climate change. This is a region that has seen long periods of insurgency and humanitarian crisis; the Lake Chad is drying up and agriculture has become more difficult. There have been reported human rights violations especially by insurgent groups. The population largely communicates in Hausa language. While most of the population depends on radio – in all the different available formats and platforms – there is an increasing number of young people who are active on social media. The information disseminated through radio and social media has potential to reach up to 50 million Hausa speakers in the Sahel region of Africa.
UNIC Lagos plans to establish a Hausa language service at the Centre that will enable the United Nations improve messaging to Northern Nigeria, with potential to reach the entire Sahel region on Africa.
In view of the foregoing, UNIC Lagos is searching for potential candidate to be recruited for the position of Hausa Language Information Assistant; who would be based at UNIC Lagos but will work closely with the media, especially radio stations in Northern Nigeria and the Nigeria External Service radio (Voice of Nigeria) for the implementation of activities as outlined above.
Functions / Key Results Expected
· Translate and disseminate the daily UN Radio news productions to Hausa radio programmes around the country
· Translate other DPI messages and material that UNIC Lagos will use in campaigns, including OpEds from senior UN officials as appropriate
· UNIC Lagos to participate in Hausa radio programmes productions with message themes from DPI
· Establish Hausa language platforms on UNIC Lagos social media to target the young people
· Participate in school/educational outreach programmes in Northern Nigeria using Hausa
· Provide Hausa language materials for schools; journalists and other target groups
· Participate in interviews with international media on UN issues in Hausa
· Regular reporting on progress UNIC Lagos is making with deployment of the Hausa service
Core Values and Competencies
· Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours. Acts without consideration of personal gain. Resists undue political pressure in decision-making. Does not abuse power or authority. Stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular. Takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
· Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations.
Respect for Diversity
· Works effectively with people from all backgrounds. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Treats men and women equally. Shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making. Examines own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses. Does not discriminate against any individual or group.
· Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
· Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organising
· Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
· Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Specifically s/he must:
· Possess at least a university degree or its equivalent in Mass Communication or journalism
· Be a native Hausa language speaker
· Have experience living and working in Northern Nigeria
· Have worked with the media for at least four years
· Have a knowledge of the issues and challenges facing Northern Nigeria
· Have some understanding of the United Nations
· Have proven skills with social media
· Be experienced with radio productions: production, directing, editing, digital radio and webcasting
· Young, energetic and have some experience working as radio programmes producer in Hausa and preferably should have worked for one of the top Hausa radio stations in Nigeria
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with team members, delivering through and with others;
· Ability to apply judgment in the area of job assigned , plan own work and manage conflicting priorities;
· Good writing skills with attention to details as well as understanding the conceptual frameworks;
· Excellent communication and reporting skills;
· Strong computer skills, including word processing, presentation packages (Power Point), Internet, etc;
· Strong skills in the application of communication technologies;
· Ability to work in a multicultural environment and in a team.
· Good English Language skills
Method of Application
All interested applicants should send an application letter with detailed CVs to UNIC Lagos.
Thru: email@example.com Submission Deadline: 15 May 2017